Tuesday, August 26, 2008

God's Little Lessons

As I sit at my computer this morning, I just feel like typing a few of my thoughts for the morning. I like to think I learned one of God's little lessons this morning......
Yesterday was an unusually "cranky" day for me. You know, the typical monthly hormonal issues that most of us women deal with. It was a day I would have rathered to have stayed in my pj's and sat around and watched a dumb movie and eaten chocolate and potato chips, and not been a mom, wife etc....just let me be. But as most of us know, that is not an option even though I'd wished it was. I dealt with the typical morning bickering between the girls, dropped them off at school, and went on to work. The kids in my class were all in rare form yesterday....or actually I know it was me in rare form, and I just didn't want to be there, but for lesson sake I am gonna blame it on them. LOL I made it through the morning, but by 12:30 I was ready to be home. I arrived home to the tons of chores I had put off from my fun, yet rainy weekend. I did what needed to be done, and made it to car pool line to pick up the kids, only for the skies to open up once again, dumping more rain on us, and adding a little lightning to boot. I find out the evenings activities have been cancelled due to the bad weather which at that time made me very happy to be able to relax in my own little world. Then Todd arrived home from his dad's with yet another thing to add to his collection of "crap" in the garage around 8pm. This of course doesn't sit very well with me. If you know me well enough, all I want to do is park my car in my garage to unload groceries....haven't been able to do that since we moved here almost five years ago, and was one of the reasons I picked this house cuz the pantry is right off the garage.....I can't do that because Todd fills the garage with his "toys". Now I know I should be feeling blessed because we can afford these things and there are so many that have nothing, but me being in the mood I was in, and acting like a spoiled brat, fussed at him which in turn put me in an even worse mood, cuz then I am feeling guilty for being such a bitch. At this point I am ready to just go to bed. Just before I decide I am fed up with the day, I got a phone call from my friend, Susan. She tells me that an accident that happened earlier that morning involved a 13 year old from our church, and friend of Sarah's. The girl is in fair condition at the hospital, but it makes me stop and think......okay, my life could be worse.....so with that, I give myself a pep talk and try to resurrect the evening I was already ruining. Todd and I ended up staying up till about 10 just talking, and I know I wouldn't have had that time with him with the attitude I had started off with. The evening ended up being okay afterall. Lesson learned.......
Well then this morning, I wake up with my allergies killing me.....sore throat, headache, sinus pressure......just feeling yucky. I am dragging myself to get ready to take the girls to school. Sarah comes to me right at 7:30 and says, "Mom, I have a Y Club meeting at 7:30....I need to get there." I ask her why she waits until 7:30 to tell me this, and she replies that she just forgot, but can we please hurry up to get there. I am starting to feel myself get aggravated because I already feel like a NYC cab driver this school year, and now my child is becoming a disgruntled customer about my cab service. We all rush to get in the car. Bailey has to run back in to get her lunch she forgot. I tell Bailey that I am going to take Sarah to school first due to the meeting. This causes Bailey to fuss at Sarah cuz she likes to be dropped off first etc. etc. etc.. So as the two of them are fussing, I get on the interstate feeling my blood pressure go up. As we are driving down the interstate, I see ahead of me an accident take place.....a bad one......all I see is a semi slam on his brakes, a rust colored SUV fly up on the center wall and a black car just is a flash going down the highway. We all slam on our brakes. I tell the girls to look the other way because it looked bad. There are people getting out of their cars and running to the black car. I slowly drive around the wreckage and see the black car. I immediately know the driver is dead....there was no way someone could have survived that after seeing the car the way it was mangled. I feel a bit helpless, as I see others already on their cells calling 911, so all I do is say a prayer for the driver and the passenger and their families. I actually started crying because I realize if Sarah would have not forgot about her meeting and if Bailey had not forgotten her lunch...the things that started me off being aggravated....we would have left the house a few minutes earlier, and that could have been us. God's second lesson for me.....Lesson Learned again....it obviously wasn't learned the night before, like I thought. God knows I can be stubborn and pig headed at times so I guess he really wanted to hit it home for me. Sarah and Bailey were just silent for a minute, and then Sarah asks me why I am crying because I don't even know the people. I explain to her that despite that we don't know them, it is still someone's loved one, and it could have been us in that accident based on just a few split seconds. Needless to say when we get to her school, I tell her I love her.....with just a little more emotion than normal. Bailey is quiet on the way to her school, and then I ask her if she is alright. She says she is, but that she is sorry she fought with her sister that morning........God taught her a lesson too, one I am grateful for. I kiss her goodbye, and pick up the phone to call my husband and tell him I love him. I hear on the radio that the accident had one fatality, and no other details are known.......but I know the details that went on in my life and for that I am thankful for the lesson I learned today.
So I will go through my day with a completely different perspective. Remember, if you are delayed by a tiny detail...be it your children forgetting things, or a slow driver in front of you, or a long line at the grocery store, a train stop....just know you are exactly where you are suppose to be at that moment. God knows what he is doing. And as for the driver that died, God knew what he was doing there too.......we aren't suppose to question that I guess, so all I am going to do is say another prayer for her and her family.
Have a great day and remember to be patient.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen & God Bless you all!
Love Dad & Sharon

PS; Enjoy your life now only God knows our fate!