Sunday, April 6, 2008

Moments

It isn't very often that I get a moment to just sit. The tasks of daily living always seem to keep me busy. I feel like I go through life one task followed by another. I never slow down to stop and smell the roses (as the saying goes). This weekend, I made it a point to sit down with my girls and just enjoy the moment. I have been going nonstop for the past few months with not one second to just relax, and taking the time this weekend made me realize that I need to do it just to reenergize myself and realize why I am running all the time.
Yesterday, my girls and I sat and played a game together which is something we enjoy to do, but lately it has been put on the back burner. We had such a great time just laughing and playing together. Then today, after church, we came home and I realized I didn't have anything to do! I kind of felt a bit lost for a second, and then I realized it is okay. The girls and I decided to look at some pictures together. As we were flipping through pictures of them when they were younger, it occured to me how short our time with them really is. It seems as though it was just yesterday that I was holding them in my arms. Now I am faced with the reality that I only have four years left before Sarah is going to be going off to college, and Bailey will be there right behind her. I actually got teary eyed, and the girls were thinking I was weird because I was crying, but I am not ashamed of my emotions over this. I thought how much I have invested in both of them and I wouldn't change it for the world. I would turn back the hands of time and do it all over again....only I would take more moments with them. I would try and slow time down so I had more of it with them. We often times take advantage of each other and of the time we have together. That really is a shame for all relationships.
We often forget to take those moments together. Time to appreciate who we are as individuals and who we are as a family unit. I hope that each of you will take a moment to have a moment together. I realized after sitting with my girls today, that although our moment today was a brief one, I will cherish it just the same. It is amazing how much hope comes in just a brief "moment".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WELL SAID......and you are very fortunate in many ways.......

Anonymous said...

Everyday you should sit down and smell the roses...because you never know what tomorrow will bring. Hopefully good times but we must enjoy what we are blessed to have today.

Anonymous said...

It is a good thing to stop running and slow down to enjoy what God has blessed you with, embrace every precious monent with your family. This how you make the wonderful memories for all of you to enjoy later on when the young ladies go out on their own for the rest of their lives.
Love you all,
Dad