Thursday, April 17, 2008

Special Olympics and Weekend event



Good Morning everyone. I just got back from Sarah's school where they are hosting the Special Olympics for our county. Sarah and the band played and marched in the openning ceremonies/parade. She then shed her band attire and went into volunteer mode. She was very excited about helping with this event this year through the TALK program at her school (Today's Aspiring Leaders...Kids). It was the one thing she was so excited about getting accepted into TALK for, that she would get to help out with the Special Olympics. I have to tell you, I have never been to a Special Olympics event, and boy.....what an emotional thing for me. I didn't expect to get all teary eyed, but I did. I am so proud of my daughter for wanting to be a part of such a fantastic event. I could do nothing but think of how cool it was, and how proud my Aunt Martha would have been to see her there. Made me really miss her.....

Also, the other event that is happening this weekend is the annual Relay for Life Walk to benefit the American Cancer Society. Longhorn once again has a team and we are all going out to support this wonderful cause. I was proud of Todd this morning when I read the paper, as there is a nice write up in it about the Survivor Dinner that he did on Tuesday night. Longhorn brought in the food for over 200 cancer survivors for an event that celebrates survivorship against this horrible disease. The link to the paper article is here if you feel like reading it:

http://www.tiftongazette.com/local/local_story_107220526.html

Also, we as a family always ask for donations to sponsor us in our walk. This year, we decided to make a big donation on our own and not bother family and friends, as we don't want you to feel like we are hounding you for money. But, I got an email from one of Todd's uncles asking if we were doing it again this year, and his comment was he got used to making his donation to the ACS through us.....so that got me thinking, maybe we should have still sent out the mass email. So instead I am going to post the link to the Longhorn/ACS Relay site here, where you can go and make a donation if you want to help out our team. If you want to pass the link on to anyone you know, please feel free to. The walk is Friday night, so there isn't a ton of time to do this, but all donations will be credited to our team and go toward all the wonderful work and help the American Cancer Society does. Todd's uncle's donation was posted immediately to the team total. The link to that site is:

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RelayForLifeSouthAtlanticDivision?team_id=195914&pg=team&fr_id=8455

Well, I will post pictures of Relay on Saturday, and then on Sunday, we head off on our "camping trip". I cannot wait to see the girls faces when we pull up to Port Canaveral and they find out where we are going. I am like a kid at Christmas....

I hope you all have a great day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

all I can say is :::: I LOVE YOU ALL and am SO PROUD.....

Anonymous said...

I am so proud and thankful that Sarah would take part in such an awesome event. Thank you! Aunt Melissa

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention that I am sure this event also helps those individuals with Multiple Sclerosis when they participate in these events by giving them a chance to prove to themselves "They can do it!". You really do not know how much that truly matters to an individuals self esteem. You go girl! Love you!