Monday, December 31, 2007

Auld Lang Syne


I write this entry at the end of a year that was filled with lots of wonderful moments and a few sad moments as well. I am glad to see this year go and to be able to start a New Year with a better attitude. I often reflect on my life and how things are going, and what my hopes and wishes are for my life to come. It is the same this year.

I say goodbye to a year where I had to say goodbye to the most beautiful and loving person I have ever known. She was a major influence in my life, and her presence will always be with me, even if it is just in spirit. My grandmother, Loretta Martha Walty, was the most giving human being I have ever known. She taught me how to love endlessly and unconditionally. She was always there to hug me when I needed a hug, and even when I didn’t. I was so glad I was able to be with her in the end, as she was always with me when I needed her. Although she had to suffer in the end of her life, which she didn’t deserve, and it bothered me so to see her that way, but I know that God has safely wrapped her in his loving arms and she is with him now watching over us. Her legacy will forever live on in her children, her grandchildren, and her great-grandchildren. And it is my solemn vow to always make her proud.

I say goodbye to a year of change for me personally as well. I turned 40 this past year and it has really given me a new perspective on life. I feel as if this birthday has made me re-evaluate my life in general. I have grown so much over the years, but I truly believe I have grown more this year then any other. I feel as if I have reclaimed myself. I am able to make better decisions without having to second guess myself or look for approval from others, and I have finally accepted who I am, how I look, and what I believe in. I have learned that I am actually a pretty nice person, with good morals, and with a compassionate heart. I am proud of the person I have become. If you were to ask me if I felt that same way a few years ago, I would have said, “no way”. But maybe age has changed that. I am so proud of my children and who they are becoming as well. I am extremely proud of my husband for the man that he is, and for the woman he makes me. I thank God everyday for the family I have.

This has been a year of many blessings. I have realized more this year how lucky I truly am. I am blessed more than I deserve to be. We have succeeded both financially this year, but also spiritually. We have been able to help others that have needed our help, and we have been able to spend time together as a family, just loving one another. We have made more memories than any family deserves, but in the same sense I am so grateful for them. We have deepened friendships, created new ones, and in some cases let some go for the betterment of all of our sakes. We have grown…..

I look to this New Year with an open heart and an open mind. I have found a new mantra for this year….it is “to love each person completely even if I don’t completely understand”. This will be a struggle for me, as I am always trying to figure people out, but I now am slowly learning I can’t do that….people will always have free will, and I can’t control free will….God can’t even do that, so why would I think I could. All I can do is love them anyway.

Well, I hope all of you can reflect on your year and look to the New Year with the same hopes that I share. I want you to all know how much I cherish each one of you in my life, and if I never made it another day in my life, I just want each of you to know you each make a difference in my life.

I love you all!
Happy 2008!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.....

I have said it before, you should be a writer.

I think we can all reflect and believe.....

Sure hope this year is all that you want it to be and more, of course.

Love to all of you.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to the anoymous one! Happy new year to all of you!

Anonymous said...

Nadine, your reflections back to 2007 are wonderful and I am thrilled that you finally can be the person you were meant to be which is "yourself" and not worrying about being politically correct, or what other's think of you.
I miss her too very much,
Happy Healthy New Year
To all the Tifton Cooks