Saturday, September 15, 2007

The Rest of the Story....

Okay...I know I was a little upset the other day, so I feel like I need to share the rest of the story with you. I emailed Sarah's teacher, and expressed in a very politically correct manner that I was not really happy with her telling the kids that they couldn't come to their parents for help. I also told her that Sarah was not getting things in her class because of the way she was teaching it (ex. just giving definitions, instead of explaining things). I did tell her that the fact that she had her "degree in education", I was extremely confident in knowing that when Sarah was going to come and see her after school for extra help, that she would be able to teach her using a different approach than she already was because I know with a "degree in education" would have given her the skills to do this. Also, I was sure that she knew that all children do not learn material in the same way. I, of course, had to throw in there that despite most of the parents didn't have a degree in education (not English), that it didn't mean we were not educated at all.

Well, I got an apology email back from her and she stated that she knew she was wrong in saying what she said to the students. She even admitted that she couldn't even help her own 8th grade son with his math homework.....really......I thought her English degree would have made her an expert in that area....silly me. Anyway, she told me that she thinks that Sarah is now getting it because she went over the definitions in class with all the students because she had gotten several emails from other parents.....I guess that means we are not all dumb, even though we may have degrees in other things.....so she decided to review it again. I was like "oh good, something must have clicked in Sarah's brain for her to get it..."

The story gets funny because Sarah gets in the car after school, and I ask her, "how did Language Arts go today because your teacher has emailed me and told me you get it now." Sarah says, "Mom, I get it because when I went into my math class, I made the comment that I was having to stay after to get help in Language Arts. My math teacher tells me she taught Language for 11 years and was there a way she could help me. So my math teacher taught me my Language Arts, and I do get it now. She showed me a super easy way to figure it out."

So the wrap up of the story is....Sarah had a different teacher show her a different way, and she gets it...with no help from the original teacher, who I must add is taking credit for it.....

All I can do is laugh.....



Enough of all that, we are spending a relaxing Saturday at home. Housework is done and we are probably gonna play a few board games together. Todd is working until 5ish and then we are going to go out to dinner with friends. We went to the high school football game last night and had a fun time. Tomorrow we are gonna do church in the morning and then who knows what. I really enjoy these slow paced weekends once in a while. Normally we are running ourselves ragged, so I am gonna take advantage while I can.



Hope everyone is doing well! Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For future reference~please let me know who Sarah has for math. I have an education degree BUT both bachelors and masters are in Special Ed. So unless the Teacher is retarded~I probably won't be of any use and will need the math teacher to help my kids through Lang. Arts. Go figure! We become parents and then it is assumed we must be uneducated or becoming parents makes you stupid?